Tuesday 3 September 2013

Civil Servant Seeks Divorce Over Husband’s Excessive Consumption Of Alcohol


A civil servant, Funmilola Oshingbinle, on Tuesday pleaded with an Igando Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve her 10-year-old marriage, alleging drunkenness and threat to her life.

Funmilola told the court that her husband, Paul, was a drunk that never cared for his family. “My husband is a regular customer at the bars; he will drink and will not leave the place until the beer parlour is ready to close for the day,’’ she said.

The complainant also accused her husband of threatening her by always hitting her with dangerous weapons which always left scars on her body. “My husband always attacked me with dangerous weapons whenever he wanted food or sex.

“If I tell him I am not in the mood or the food is not ready yet, he will pick a pestle, knife or other weapons and hit me,” she said. Funmilola begged the court to dissolve the union saying she could no longer tolerate his conduct.

“I am still a young woman, I do not want to die from his beating; my husband will kill me if I continue to live with him,” she said. The respondent, Paul, who is also a civil servant, accepted some of the allegations, but denied the others.

He told the court that he never threatened to kill his wife, but admitted beating her only because she was not submissive and respectful. “My wife does not regard me, she talks to me anyhow and I cannot take such.
So I deal with her to make her come to her senses,’’ Paul told the court. He said that for about a year, he and his wife had not been on good terms, and she had not allowed him to make love to her.

Paul, however, told the court that he was not ready for the divorce as he still loved his wife. The court president, Mr R.I. Adeyeri adjourned the case to Sept.11 for further hearing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment