Saturday 14 December 2013

I will never wear mini skirt — Abiola Segun-Williams

Abiola Segun-Williams
Abiola Segun-Williams
Known as Titi K in the soap, Tinsel, Abiola Segun-Williams talks about her career and style
Q: Tell us about yourself

A: I was born in Lagos.   I have always lived in Lagos. While I was growing up, my father was very strict, while my mother was a very soft woman. Unfortunately, he died in 1995.  I am married to Segun Williams but the name is very general.  I wanted to answer just Segun and drop the Williams but it occurred to me that my parent in-laws may feel bad.

Q: What did you study in school?
A: I studied Theatre Arts at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. Actually, God told me to go and study drama.  What happened was that I finished secondary school in 1983 and I kept writing JAMB.    When I wrote it the fourth time, I decided that was the last time I would ever write the exam. I asked God to give me direction on what to study and He instructed me to make use of the talent He gave me. When I heard the instruction, I decided to apply to study drama.

Q: What was your first performance as an actor?
A: I was with Chuck Mike, who taught me directing in school at a time. But he left as I was entering final year and because of that, I decided to major in playwriting.  I felt Chuck was the only lecturer who could teach me directing.  Studying playwriting sharpened my skills in writing. I could see a play from the perspective of a writer and not just from that of a director.   The movie, ‘Home’ was my first professional job and it was directed by Chuck Mike.

Q: How did you meet your husband?
A: I met him in church.   He is a brother to my pastor’s wife.  The first day I saw him, he winked at me and I thought, ‘who is this mischievous person winking at somebody in the church?’   I asked who he was and they said he is the brother to my pastor’s wife.  My husband plays with everybody. He has an amiable nature and he also loves to worship. He has a very good conscience.

Q: How long have you been together?
A: I met him in 1992 and we started going out in 1996.

Q: How many kids do you have?
A: We have two kids.

Q: You have been in the industry for a long time. How old are you?
A: I am definitely not going to say my age. But I am few years short of fifty.

Q: Apart from Tinsel, which other movies have you done?
A: I have done quite a number of movies and I cannot remember all of them. I did ‘In the cupboard’ by Desmond Elliot and I got an award for it. The award was given to me from the United States America for my role in the movie.   I did ‘I will take my chances’, also directed by Desmond Elliot and produced by Emem Isong. I also featured in ‘Damages’ with Uche Jombo.   The latest is a non-English speaking character I played in a film called, ‘Finding Mercy.’

Q: What determines how you choose your script?
A: I would definitely not play some roles.  I cannot kiss in a movie. As a Christian, I would not be unequally yoked. One may say it is a role in a movie but my mouth is still the one that is being kissed! In fact, my husband would kill a man if I should kiss him in a movie. Moreover, I will never go nude in a movie.

Q: You have been on Tinsel for six years now. How did you get into the series?
A: Some friends informed me about an audition which I attended.   When I got there, I met a mammoth crowd of young people pushing themselves around. I could not wait. I went home and called my friend Austin. I told him I could not wait for the audition. My friend talked to somebody and I was given another day to come for the audition.  They gave me the character I auditioned for.

Q: How has it been since then?
A: It has been fantastic. I have enjoyed playing the character of Titi tremendously and I thank God for my experience on Tinsel.

Q: How do you relate to your character in the series?
A: Titi is just a stupid person. I can never be like that.  Number one, I don’t like social gatherings. I don’t attend parties and if I do, I will always go late in order to leave immediately. Titi likes to associate herself with socialites. I don’t even know people who are socialites in Nigeria.  I am always in my house when I am not working.
Q: Was it challenging playing the character?
A: No. Titi was not challenging for me.  There are people like her all over the world. There was a time I was in Punch as a reporter and I went to interview one actress. She had a very high estimation of herself and it showed through her speeches.  In order to play Titi, I remembered her.

Q: How do people react when they see you?
A: They meet me either at the shopping mall or at the market.  When they see me, they see the real Abiola.   A lot of times, I don’t wear make-up. I am always simply dressed with my pumps. When they see me, they become confused.   They would not recognise me as Titi but would comment instead, that I look like her.   I am smaller and I look younger in real life than I do on television.  But the character, Titi, helps me when there is a long queue somewhere. People would naturally make space for me.

Q: How do you keep yourself looking so trim?
A: I have always been slim. I have not been able to get around to exercising but I know that I need to exercise to be fit. When one gets to a certain age, one needs to keep fit. My husband does not want me to exercise. He exercises for both of us because he is on the big side.  But I always watch what I eat and I have been doing that since I started having children.

Q: What do you do at leisure?
A: Leisure for me is sleeping.  I don’t have a lot of friends. I don’t encourage people to come and visit me because I don’t know how to host people.

Q: What turns you off about people?
A: I don’t like it when people are dishonest.

Q: Have you had sad moments?
A: As a young person, I did not know anything called sadness.  The first time I would lose anybody close to me was when my father died. My heart wrenched then and only God consoled me. Then, when Pastor Bimbo Odukoya died, I was below depression. She was my sister in-law and I worked closely with her. I loved her a lot. Everybody in the church loved her. She was a rare woman.

Q: What does style mean to you?
A: Style is confidence. I had a friend who had a few clothes but she wore them with such confidence that people who had more clothes felt small beside her. Basically, that is style. My mom also taught me that whatever I wear, I must have confidence.

Q: What would you never wear?
A: I would never wear micro mini. I would never wear clothes that show my cleavage. I feel it removes from your femininity if your are showing all that to men.

0 comments:

Post a Comment